An event perpetually on my bucket list, Rebecca Farm is the ultimate destination event, with long hauls for almost everyone and vistas to make the drive worth it. The Broussards’ incredible support for the sport includes travel grants to offset the costs to get there — one of many things the family goes above and beyond for.
- The completion rate at the Rebecca CCI4*-L has averaged only 60.4% since its inception in 2015, compared to a North American completion rate of 68.6% over the same time period.
- However, a full 25.0% of cross country starters have made the time on cross country, compared to 16.0% for other events of the same time.
- In four runnings, all of the winners have been in the top three after dressage.
- Stella Artois returns to this level for the first time since 2017, but as her recent Advanced dressage test at Essex indicates, she hasn’t skipped a beat. She and Jennie Brannigan average a 33.6 in the first phase which is equal best in the field.
- Clark Montgomery returns to the level with a new ride, the Thoroughbred mare Caribbean Soul. In five outings they have also averaged 33.6, although their scores have floated upwards in their last two outings.
CROSS COUNTRY MACHINES
- Another young horse paired with an experienced rider will be expected to finish with the quickest time this weekend; in four outings with James Alliston, the mare Pandora has finished as the fastest round of the day in three of them.
- Clark Montgomery and Caribbean Soul had a stop in the mare’s first attempt at the level last fall but have since made quick work of three big east coast tracks. They have finished within 10 seconds of optimum time in each of their three runs and had the fastest run of the day last time out at The Fork, with only four seconds over optimum.
SHOW JUMPING POWERHOUSES
- The majority of the field this weekend tends to have a rail, with Leah Breakey and Master Class having the best show jumping average, largely due to lack of opportunity. In only two runs at the A/CCI4*-S level, this pair has had only one rail.
PREDICTED WINNER: Clark Montgomery and Caribbean Soul
- James Alliston and Pandora
- Jennie Brannigan and Stella Artois
- Lauren Billys and Castle Larchfield Purdy