It’s that time of year! The 2017 Event Rider Masters series kicks off tomorrow at Dodson & Horrell Chatsworth International Horse Trials in Derbyshire, England. Forty exciting combinations will line up for the first of seven legs, each of which will award £50,000 in prize money with an additional £50,000 series bonus.
All the action will be broadcast live for free on www.eventridermasters.tv. Here’s the broadcast schedule:
Saturday, May 13
Dressage from 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m. BST/5:30 a.m.-1 p.m. EST
Sunday, May 14
Show jumping from 10:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m. BST/5:15-7:30 a.m. EST
Cross country from 1:45-4 p.m. BST/8:45 a.m.-11 a.m. EST
Here are 10 Chatsworth fast facts from EquiRatings to remember while you watch the live stream:
- In more than 1,000 CIC3* runs at Chatsworth, only two riders, Astier Nicolas (FRA) and Christopher Burton (AUS), have ever made the optimum time on cross country.
- Only 10 horses have come within 10 seconds of the optimum time since 2010. Elizabeth Power (IRL) and Soladoun had just 2.4 time penalties last year, which is tied for the fifth fastest round over the CIC3* course since 2010.
- Horses will need to finish on a score of 44.6 or less to rank in the top 10 all-time low ERM final scores. Vittoria Panizzon (ITL) and Borough Pennyz have done that three times, but not since 2014.
- Of the 13 CIC3* venues in the UK, Chatsworth produces the highest average finishing score, with many pairs in the field finishing above 80 penalties.
- The record to beat is a finishing score of 45, achieved by Andrew Nicholson (NZL) on Viscount George during his most successful season ever in 2013. This year he will compete Swallow Springs, who has three runs inside the time in the past 12 months.
- Gemma Tattersall (GBR) and Quicklook V have the fifth lowest finishing score of all Chatsworth finishers since 2010 (47.1).
- Three horses in the field (Spring Revolution, Kiltubrid Rhapsody, Continuity) have never had a cross country jumping penalty in an international run.
- The Chatsworth leg had the highest percentage of clear show jumping rounds of the ERM series in 2016, with 42.5% of the field jumping clear.
- Thomas Carlile (FRA) and Upsilon have finished first or second in eight of their 11 international runs. They have never finished outside the top five when they complete all phases.
- Sam Griffiths (AUS) and Happy Times and Dee Hankey (GBR) and Chequers Playboy are 14 for 14 with clear CIC3* cross country rounds, the largest number in the field.
The 2017 ERM calendar:
May 13-14: Dodson & Horrell Chatsworth International Horse Trials (UK)
June 2-3: Internationales Wiesbadener PfingstTurnier (Germany)
July 8-9: St. James’s Place Barbury International Horse Trials (UK)
July 15-16: Haras de Jardy (France)
Aug. 5-6: Festival of British Eventing, Gatcombe Park (UK)
Aug. 26-27: Blair Castle Equi-Trek International Horse Trials (UK)
Sept. 15-16: Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials (UK)