It’s been a whirlwind week here at Pau, and for our final sign-off post from France, Kate and I compiled a list of our top 10 most memorable moments. Be sure to watch the final press conference video below, in which William Fox-Pitt and Maxime Livio break down their successful weekend. Many thanks to all of you who read our posts, liked our Facebook photos and watched our videos. You’re the reason we do what we do. And last but not least, congrats to Team USA for a fantastic performance overall. If you missed my final report on the exciting finale in the show jumping today, click here, and click here to watch the show jumping video gallery. Au revoir!
Top 10 Most Memorable Moments from Pau
1. When a group of drunk French people started attempting to sing “Time of My Life” underneath our hotel window at 3 a.m.
2. When it took us three days to realize our rental car was making a beeping noise because I had accidentally activated the parking brake.
3. When Andrew Nicholson stonewalled me in the press conference after the first day of dressage. Click here for video evidence.
4. When the press officer offered us celebratory booze at 10:30 a.m. on show jumping day. The French know how to get their party on.
5. When Kate came back from the trade fair with five pounds of candy … and we ate it all in 24 hours.
6. When it took me four days to figure out how to pronounce Neuf Des Coeurs. And I still really can’t say it properly.
7. When Kate totally abused the ghastly neon yellow photography vests the journalists had to wear and practically stood in the water jump to snap pictures.
8. When the French announcer led the enthusiastic crowd in a round of “hip hip hooray” after William Fox-Pitt brought his third horse home double clear on cross country.
9. When Maxime Livio was swarmed by tween girls requesting autographs following the final press conference. It’s safe to say he’s eventing’s newest heartthrob.
10. When the French Pony Clubbers saluted William Fox-Pitt’s victory by doing the wave as he took his victory gallop in the awards ceremony.
Go Pau, and Go Eventing.