US Equestrian has just announced the U.S. Eventing Team and reserves for the 2019 Pan American Games, which will take place Aug. 1-4 at Equestrian Club Militar La Molina in Lima, Peru. The U.S. Eventing Team must must secure team gold or a silver medal-finish to earn qualification for Tokyo.
Three direct reserve horses have also been named as automatic replacements if the original horse named for a team member needs to be substituted.
Following the review of submitted applications, the following combinations have been selected for the U.S. Eventing Team (in alphabetical order):
- Boyd Martin (Cochranville, Pa.) with Tsetserleg, Christine Turner’s 12-year-old Trakehner gelding
Direct Reserve: On Cue, Christine Turner’s 13-year-old Anglo-European mare
- Doug Payne (Aiken, S.C.) with Starr Witness, an 8-year-old KWPN mare owned by Doug, Laurie McRee, and Catherine Winter
Direct Reserve: Vandiver, a 15-year-old Trakehner gelding owned by Debi Crowley, Jessica Payne, and Doug Payne
- Tamie Smith (Murrieta, Calif.) with Fleeceworks Royal, Judy McSwain’s 10-year-old Holsteiner mare
Direct Reserve: Mai Baum, a 13-year-old German Sport Horse gelding owned by Alex Ahearn, Ellen Ahearn, and Eric Markell [UPDATED 7/2: Mai Baum to Replace Fleeceworks Royal as Tamie Smith’s Pan American Games Partner]
- Lynn Symansky (Middleburg, Va.) with RF Cool Play, The Donner Syndicate LLC’s 11-year-old German Sport Horse gelding
Liz Halliday-Sharp (Ocala, Fla.) and Cooley Quicksilver, The Monster Partnership’s 8-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding, have been named the traveling reserves.
The following athlete-and-horse combinations have been named as reserves to the U.S. Eventing Team (in alphabetical order):
- Phillip Dutton (West Grove, Pa.) with Sea of Clouds, The Sea of Clouds Partnership’s 8-year-old Thoroughbred gelding
- Sydney Elliott (Bossier City, La.) with QC Diamantaire, Carol Stephens’ 9-year-old Oldenburg gelding
- Will Faudree (Southern Pines, N.C.) with Pfun, Jennifer Mosing and Sterling Silver Stables’ 12-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding
- Lauren Kieffer (The Plains, Va.) with Vermiculus, Jacqueline Mars’ 12-year-old Anglo-Arabian gelding
The 2019 U.S. Pan American Eventing Team is subject to approval by the United States Olympic Committee.
In preparation for the Pan American Games, members of the U.S. Eventing Team will compete at the Maryland International CCI3*-S on July 5-7, as well as the Barbury International Horse Trials CCI3*-S on July 4-7.
Watch the team announcement video below. Congratulations to all. Go Eventing.