We are counting down to the inaugural running of Canada’s newest FEI event, Foshay International. Held over Labor Day Weekend on Aug. 30-Sept. 2, Foshay offers a CCI* and the FEI’s new CCI Introductory level in picturesque Jemseg, New Brunswick.
Entries open tomorrow! Are you looking for a special summer destination event to add to your competition calendar? We took a deeper look at Foshay and put together a list of reasons why you should consider making the trip.
10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FOSHAY
1. It’s closer than you think. Jemseg, New Brunswick is located less than eight hours from Boston and just 10 minutes off the Trans Canada Highway. Foshay offers a destination event set alongside the stunning backdrop of the Saint John River.
Here’s an aerial video of the event site:
2. Foshay International is the only event in North America and one of only 12 in the world offering the FEI’s new CCI Introductory level in 2018. With fences set at 1.05 meters, the CCI Introductory level is ideal for horses and riders looking to make the move up to international level who might not quite be ready for a CCI* yet.
3. With an entry fee of $500, which includes stabling, Foshay International is the most affordable CCI* to enter in North America this year. For those crossing the border for the event, your money will also go further in Canada, as the US Dollar currently has an exchange rate of $.76/CDN to $1/USD.
4. Didn’t qualify for the FEI North American Youth Championships this year? You’re likely still qualified for Foshay International. Even if you were one Preliminary qualification away from going to NAYC, you can still compete in the CCI Introductory level at Foshay.
5. Young Riders will receive their own awards within the Open divisions for both the Introductory CCI and CCI* classes. This is your chance to take the Best Young Rider title at a major international competition.
6. A total of $25,000 in prize money will be split between the two levels, so you have the opportunity to win back your entry fee and take home extra cash.
7. Foshay will offer top notch hospitality and amenities and one of the best parties of the summer. The Foshay Country Market will feature local artisans, food and drink in a country fair atmosphere. Did we mention there is a beach that runs alongside the cross country course?
8. Foshay also offers numerous educational opportunities. The Foshay Eventing Academy will be occurring over the course of the entire weekend to teach the next generation of eventers the fundamentals of the sport.
9. While many venues on the East Coast are battling hard ground in late August, the temperate summer climate in New Brunswick will guarantee fantastic footing for Foshay. Thanks to the venue’s location in a river valley, the footing on Jay Hambly’s cross country course will be perfect.
10. Foshay International is on a mission to become the East Coast’s premier destination event. With a dedicated and experienced organizing committee, Foshay is committed to putting on an event that caters to competitors, horses, owners and spectators alike.
Still not convinced you should make the trip to Foshay? Watch this video to hear firsthand from Foshay organizer Rob Stevenson and technical delegate Melissa Warden about why you should put Foshay on your calendar:
Are you planning to compete in the inaugural running of Foshay International this year? Let us know in the comments below. Mark your calendars — entries open tomorrow, July 25, and close Aug. 20. Go Eventing.