British Eventing Still Says No to Helmet Cameras

Laine Ashker and Anthony Patch at Millbrook. Photo by Jenni Autry. Laine Ashker and Anthony Patch at Millbrook. Photo by Jenni Autry.

British Eventing released an updated statement on its helmet camera ban today, saying the ban will remain in place for the foreseeable future. BE members had been hopeful the organization might following the USEF’s reversal of its own ban on Jan. 5.

“Further to temporary hat cam ban imposed by BE towards the end of 2014, there are many factors and costs to consider with regards to a decision being made by BE about Members wearing hat cams in BE competitions in the future,” BE’s latest statement reads. “The situation regarding the research of impact of hat cams on helmets is under continuous review by the BE Chief Executive, Sport Committee, Safety Committee and legal advisors.”

Mike Etherington-Smith also commented: “We understand this is a frustrating time for Members who regularly wear hat cams but ultimately the decision must be the right one for the sport in the long term.”

Malcolm Hook, USEA National Safety Officer, said last month that the study was on hold due to lack of funding, which is ultimately why the USEF decided to reverse its ban without the results. Unfortunately, MES confirmed today that the study is still on hold, which leaves helmet cams in limbo in Britain.

“As things stand, the matter is with the BE Safety Committee to decide how to progress,” he said. “Funding has been sought from eventing nations, but no one will contribute. We are deciding whether it is in fact something that we should be responsible for.”

The BE season officially gets underway at Isleham on March 7 and 8, so it’s still possible the ban could be lifted in time for the first event of the year in Britain, though the situation isn’t looking promising at the moment.

[British Eventing Hat Cam Statement]

Comments