Calling all college students! Town Hill Horse Trials in Lakeville, CT, will host Area I’s first Intercollegiate Team Challenge on August 28, 2022. All levels are welcome and your school does not need an official eventing team to participate.
The USEA Intercollegiate Eventing Program has grown by leaps and bounds since its inception in 2014. The program was originally established to provide a framework on which eventing teams and individual competitors could flourish at universities and colleges across the country. It has developed into a thriving program through which college aged eventers can identify a supportive and like-minded community to support the pursuance of their equestrian goals while balancing the rigors of a college education.
Intercollegiate team challenges have become popular additions to recognized horse trials across the country and give students the chance to experience the fun and camaraderie of riding on a team.
Interested in riding in the intercollegiate team challenge at Town Hill? Here are some important things to know:
- You do not have to have a USEA Collegiate Membership, you only have to be a current undergraduate college student! This is only a requirement for the USEA Eventing Championships.
- Your school does not have to have an official eventing team. Only the USEA Intercollegiate Eventing Championships requires the team to be a registered affiliate.
- It doesn’t matter if you go to a private college, state university, or community college. All college students are welcome!
- Intercollegiate eventing is for all levels! Teams made up of mixed levels are very common. A level factor coefficient will be applied in scoring to “even the playing field.”
- Teams are made up of 3 or 4 competitors. Teams of 4 have a “drop” score.
- Wearing your school colors and decorating your stalls in team gear is encouraged!
To enter Town Hill’s Intercollegiate team challenge, enter the competition as an individual like you normally would, then get to work forming your team! Email your team roster to the event secretary. And have fun! Learn more about USEA Intercollegiate Eventing here.