USEA Area II is on a North American Youth Championships roll. Last year they came home from NAYC with Team Gold and Individual Silver and Bronze in the three-star, and Team Bronze and Individual Silver in the two-star. The year before that, they earned Team Silver in the two-star.
Area II’s momentum continues in 2019, having just announced a strong, 12-rider traveling squad. They will be fielding a full team for the two-star division, and the other squad members will be added at the competition to “scramble” teams for the three-star division and (new for 2019!) Training 3-Day.
Riders and horses qualified over approximately two seasons of competition, then were chosen based on performances to represent Area II on the squad. The final teams for each level (four riders and two individuals) will be named following the initial veterinary inspection on the first day of competition.
Two of the riders, Alexa Gartenberg and Meghan Loughnane, return from the 2017 squad. Representing and rocking the girl power (with 10 female riders and four mares among the named horses) are the following pairs in alphabetical order, by division qualified:
- Alexa Gartenberg (Gladwynne, PA) on Cornelia Dorr’s 2005 Rheinland Pfalz-Saar gelding Louis M; a student at the University of Delaware
- Meghan Loughnane (Bryn Mawr, PA) on her 2009 Holsteiner gelding Linford; a student at the University of Virginia – Charlottesville.
- Madison Chisholm (Elon, NC) on Hooked On Ridin’s 2009 Thoroughbred gelding Beechcraft; a student at The Burlington School
- Sofie Harangozo (Haymarket, VA) on Cynthia McNemar’s 2007 Oldenburg gelding Rain Dancer; a student at Seton School
- Colette Leber (Pinehurst, NC) on her 2005 Thoroughbred gelding Willie Wiggins; she is a graduate of the O’Neal School and will attend the University of Kentucky
- Caitlin O’Roark (Centreville, VA) on Shannon O’Roark’s 2005 warmblood gelding Lucky Devil; a student at Westfield High School
- Dylan Philipps (Pittsboro, NC) on her 2008 Irish Sport horse mare Fernhill Fierce; a student at the Chatham School of Science and Engineering
- Sydney Shinn (Egg Harbor City, NJ) riding Alexa Lapp’s 2005 Thoroughbred mare Paprika; a student at Cedar Creek High School
- Traveling reserve is Julianne Elliott (Clarksville, MD) on Beth Sokohl’s 1999 Thoroughbred gelding Buckharo; a student at River Hill High School
Junior/Young Rider Training Three-Day Team:
- Jackson Dillard (Port Matilda, PA) on his 2011 Hanoverian mare Layla Q; a student at State College Area High School
- Ashley Stout (Port Matilda, PA) on her 2012 warmblood gelding Avant Garde; a student at Park Forest Middle School
- Caitlin O’Roark (Centreville, VA) on her second horse, Shannon O’Roark’s 2011 Thoroughbred mare, On A Mission
The Area II Chairman is Melissa Stubenberg (West Grove, PA) and the Young Rider program is served by Young Rider Coordinator and 2019 Area II “Chef d’Equipe” Chris Donovan. The coaching staff in Montana will be headed by Pam Wiedemann, ICP Level III Instructor and USEF “S” Eventing Judge.
The Adequan/FEI North American Youth Championships presented by Gotham North takes place July 24-28, 2019 at The Event at Rebecca Farm in Kalispell, MT. Keep an eye on the Area II website for information on upcoming NAYC fundraisers and more!