As the spring 5* events loom ever closer, each competition gives us more insights into the entrants’ preparation and form as they head into their major destinations. This weekend’s CCI4*-S at Stable View in Aiken, SC, is one of the final prep events available for Kentucky and Badminton-bound horses.
You’ll recall some major overhauls made to the USEF eventing calendar for 2023 through 2027. These changes have come to play with mixed reviews, with fewer Advanced and 4* events now available to riders preparing 5* horses, and more competition for coveted dates on the calendar for organizers to navigate. More on this to come..
For its part, Stable View offers a strong purse for cash-poor eventers (come on – it’s a known fact at this point, isn’t it?), with a total of $60,000 on the line for FEI competitors. $30,000 of this is offered for the CCI4*, $20,0000 for the CCI3*, and $10,000 for the CCI2*. Additional prize offerings include:
- $2,000 Amanda Bader Award ($1,000 to the lowest-scoring dressage pair who completes the 4*, and $500 each to the lowest scoring dressage pairs who complete the CCI3* and CCI2*)
- FITS $100 Gift Certificate awarded to the first place finisher in the CCI2*, CCI3*, and CCI4*
- Thoroughbred Incentive Program awards at each level
- A slew of prizes offered to choose from for National winners – see the new Stable View Winners Table when you win this weekend!
This weekend will see a roster of 35 horses and riders in the headlining CCI4*-S division. Absent from the list are 2022 winners of this division, Will Coleman and Chin Tonic HS (who opted instead to win the Carolina 4* this month). However, a strong field awaits the challenges ahead, including notables such as:
- Former Oktoberfest winner Z, piloted by longtime partner Phillip Dutton
- Will Coleman and his Pratoni horse, Off the Record
- Grand-Prix Eventing winner and Carolina 4* runners-up Liz Halliday-Sharp and Miks Master C, as well as Deniro Z
- Aiken-based fan favorite Sarah Kuhn and Mr. Cash van de Start
- Boyd Martin with his Tokyo and Pratoni partner, Tsetserleg, as well as the talented mare Contessa
- Soon-to-be 5* debutants Andrew McConnon with Ferrie’s Cello as well as Sydney Solomon with Early Review C
- Doug Payne with defending USEF National Champion Quantum Leap, as well as Camarillo and Starr Witness
- Jennie Saville with four strong rides in FE Connory, FE Lifestyle, Stella Artois, and Twilightslastgleam
Stable View will also play host to robust CCI3*-S and CCI2*-S divisions, as well as National offerings from Training level up through Advanced. You can view the full entry list here. FEI action gets underway with dressage and show jumping on Friday, followed by cross country on Saturday.
There’s always much fun to be had at a Stable View event. Here are a few other happenings to be on the look out for all weekend:
- Join Capt. Mark Phillips and Boyd Martin for an exclusive peek at the CCI4*-S cross country track, Friday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. All are welcome! Please meet on the cross country side of the Hunt Box lodging.
- Enjoy family-friendly fare during Graze & Gaze on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings, 5pm-7pm downstairs in the Pavilion at Ollie’s Inn. There will also be an Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday evening for children beginning at 6:30pm, followed by 7pm for the adults. The Easter Bunny will hand out Cadbury chocolate eggs!
- Last call for VIP tickets this weekend! To reserve a Tailgate spot along the cross country course, or a Pavilion Patron pass, please e-mail [email protected].
- Competitors will find coffee, tea, water, dry snacks, yogurt, and sodas in the Rider Lounges. Pop-up hospitality tents are set up by the Main Outdoor and Tree arenas.
- Stroll along vendor row for apparel, tack, barn supplies, and gifts courtesy of Cowgirl Up with Green, Griffinbrook, The Mane Monogram, and VTO Saddlery. Harmony Chiropractic will also be present to discuss the benefits of equine and human chiropractic adjustments.
- In addition to ribbons, please collect your prize (1st through 6th place) from an assortment of options at the Show Office.
- Creative prizes this weekend include: A saltwater treadmill/combi floor session from Engineered Equine Performance to the Trainer and Rider with the most horses; a brown Renaissance bridle from Prestige Italia for the high point Young Rider; and a “recovery basket” for rider & horse by Harmony Chiropractic for the competitor with the “Best Save” on course.
- Food trucks this weekend include Lobster Dogs (Friday only), the Loco Lemonade Stand, R&L Vending, Roasted & Toasted, and The Skinny Taco.
Shelby Allen and I will be on the ground providing the media experience on behalf of Stable View. There is no live stream of the action this weekend, but we’ll be doing all we can to keep you up to speed. Be sure to follow @goeventing and @stableviewaiken on Instagram for the latest.