View this post on Instagram
It’s the first day of Olympic dressage for the Eventing crowd! Don’t forget to check out our Ultimate Form Guide for the schedule, order of go, information on the new Olympic format, and much much more. Also, with the time differences, and the competition running at weird hours due to the heat in Tokyo, it’s important that you check out our handy-dandy guide to times so you can be near a TV (or at least try to). I’m not sure I have it in me to wake up at 4am to watch dressage…but we shall see. Also, in case you are curious, here is the order of jogs for bright and early this morning.
Want to stay in the know with all things Olympic eventing? We’re sending out daily Olympic Digest updates, and you can sign up for free right here.
- Germany’s Jessica von Bredow-Werndl took individual dressage gold — on top of her team gold — in her Olympic debut. She scored over 90% in her freestyle, which was ridden to a La La Land medley.
- Oh, and Charlotte Dujardin took bronze, making her officially the most-medalled female British Olympian of all time.
- Fintan McCarthy and Paul O’Donovan took gold in the lightweight double sculls, making the rowers the first Irish gold medallists in any sport since 2012.
- The heatwave grew so unbearable that Spain’s Paula Badosa had to be removed from the tennis court in a wheelchair after falling ill in the quarterfinals, while Russia’s Daniil Medvedev told the umpire, “I can finish the match but I can die. If I die, are you going to be responsible?”
- Germany’s cycling director, Patrick Moster, was sent home from Tokyo after shouting racial slurs during the men’s time trial. Now, there are calls for his resignation in the wake of the incident.
- British golfer Tommy Fleetwood confessed that he doesn’t use a hairdryer to achieve his voluminous, luscious locks – after lamenting that he’s been asked several times to borrow one.
- US gymnast Simone Biles decided to withdraw from the individual final, a day after stepping out of the team final. Her decision has sparked much debate online, but this insight into the ‘twisties’ should silence even the most vocal of naysayers.
- The IOC praised transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard‘s courage and tenacity ahead of her Olympic debut early next week in what has been a landmark moment for sport.
- Fiji won its second-ever Olympic gold as the rugby sevens triumphed – an enormous emotional boon for the tiny South Pacific island nation, which has been ravaged by Covid. And what a team: the captain learned to play rugby on a traffic roundabout, and another member of the team was homeless when they debuted in 2016.
- The Australian athletics team has been sent into self-isolation after contact with a US athlete who tested positive for Covid. Though the Aussies have all since tested negative, this throws a spanner in the works of their final preparations.
- Keen sports fans found creative ways to glimpse the action, despite the behind-closed-doors policy this year.
- The US leads the overall medal tally with 37 won so far, but it’s a tie between Japan and China for the most golds: they’ve each won 14, compared to the US’s 13.
U.S. Weekend Preview
Fouaad Mirza is the third-ever Indian rider, and first to qualify in 21 years, and he’s competing in Eventing this week. Partnered with his double Asian Games silver medallist Seigneur Medicott (Micky), Fouaad is confident that he can do well for his country due to Micky’s technical precision over the jumps as well as his previous experience with hot weather. [Two Hearts & One Soul]
Oh, did you want full replays of all the action you missed this week? Never fear, EN is here with your links to everything you wanted and more. Catch up on the dressage action, and save this link for when you don’t wake up at 4am to watch Eventing dressage. [Equestrian Olympics Full Replays]
Fancy a chat with McLain Ward prior to the Olympics? Listen to this podcast and find out everything you wanted to know and more about the man/myth/legend, his preparations with his horse Contagious, and his vibe going into the Olympics. The episode focuses on the struggle of dealing with the postponement of the Olympics last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. He also discussed the massive operation to get the horses ready to travel across the world. Plus, he discussed the makeup of the equestrian and his teammates Laura Kraut, Kent Farrington, and newcomer Jessica Springsteen. [Sports With Friends Podcast]
Equestrian themed sun shirts with an Olympic discount? Sign me up! RemiLee & Co is offering a buy-one-get-one-50%-off deal on their incredible sun shirts, emblazoned with personalized power words and kitted out to be the perfect riding companion for the summer months. [Olympic Deals]