One of the hottest tickets on the U.S. summer eventing calendar, Millbrook Horse Trials, is fast approaching, and we’re getting stoked. This year’s event — the 19th annual edition — takes place Aug. 1-4 at Riga Meadow at Coole Park Farm in Millbrook, New York. Yep, that’s the same weekend as the Pan American Games, but the North American eventing world isn’t about to stop turning just because of some championship down in Peru. We’ll be bringing the heat up here, too.
A few reasons why we’re excited for Millbrook 2019:
The Advanced entry list is stacked. Millbrook has been the kick-off to the fall season for many years now, with riders using it as a key run for horses headed to CCI4* and CCI5* events in the coming months. As the only Advanced event on the East Coast in this timeframe, Millbrook consistently draws a large field with plenty of big names. We counted 53 Advanced level entries on this year’s roster — check it out here.
… As are the other divisions. Almost 500 horse-rider pairs are slated to compete in divisions spanning Beginner Novice to Advanced. Dressage kicks off on Thursday; Beginner Novice through Training tackle cross country on Friday, followed by the upper levels on Saturday. Intermediate and Advanced show jumping is the grand finale on Sunday. View the schedule of events here.
All that prize money: For the 19th consecutive year, the purse of prize money for riders in the Advanced and Intermediate divisions continues. This year $10,000 will be awarded to winners in these divisions.
It’s a showplace for spectators. In addition to the competition, MHT offers events and activities for all spectators and horse lovers. Among this year’s highlights:
- Admission and parking are free and food is available on site. Additional activities, including a kid’s area featuring kid’s games, food and fun, as well as an exciting Four Bar High Jump Competition on Sunday.
- A trade fair offering a wide variety of horse and fashion products for sale from quality vendors, which include BayHorse Gazebos and Barns, Emerald Valley Natural Health, Hylofit, Passports, CWD Sellier, White Horse Collection, and many more.
- For the third year, live electronic scoring will be displayed in the show jumping arena so spectators can easily follow individual competitors.
… With special spectator experiences available. These include:
- Water View, located above the complex of exciting water jumps, is open all day Saturday during the upper-level cross country competition. Live commentary is provided by professional riders, along with transportation to the viewing tent and a box lunch. Tickets are required.
- A Benefit Luncheon will be held from noon to 2 p.m. on Sunday during the Intermediate and Advanced show jumping competition. Professional commentary will be provided by Advanced level rider, Marcia Kulak.
- Tickets for Water View and the Benefit Luncheon can be purchased at www.millbrookhorsetrials.com. MHT is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, so all contributions are tax deductible to donors.
Will we see you there? Learn more at the Millbrook Horse Trials website here.