We are counting down to the second annual running of Canada’s newest FEI event, Foshay International. Held over Labor Day Weekend on Aug. 29-Sept. 1, Foshay in picturesque Jemseg, New Brunswick, is back and even better in 2019 after its inaugural edition garnered rave reviews.
Entries are open! Are you looking for a special summer destination event to add to your competition calendar? We took a deeper look at Foshay and put together a list of reasons why you should consider making the trip.
1. It’s closer than you think. Jemseg, New Brunswick is located less than eight hours from Boston and just 10 minutes off the Trans Canada Highway. Foshay offers a destination event set alongside the stunning backdrop of the Saint John River. 8. Did we mention there is a beach that runs alongside the cross country course? Spectators can even come by boat — Foshay is the only FEI event accessible by land or by water, and they’re hoping to see more boats in 2019. (Unless you’ve got a floating horse box, competitors are still encouraged to bring their horses by land;)
2. Foshay has expanded in 2019 to include two international divisions (CCI1* and CCI2*-L) and two national divisions (Prelim and EV 105), as well as an EC gold level jumper show. Foshay is still the only event in North America and one of only 12 in the world offering the FEI’s new CCI Introductory level. With fences set at 1.05 meters, the CCI Introductory level is ideal for horses and riders looking to make the move up to international level who might not quite be ready for a CCI2* yet. Check out last year’s cross country course here. #Protip: Check your qualification requirements here, as they differ between the U.S. and Canada.
3. With an entry fee of $500, which includes stabling, Foshay International is the most affordable CCI to enter in North America this year. For those crossing the border for the event, your money will also go further in Canada, as the US Dollar currently has an exchange rate of $.75/CDN to $1/USD.
4. There are many ways that you can be a part of this exciting international event, and one of them is volunteering. Express your interest in one or more of Foshay’s Volunteer Teams and the event will be in touch to match your interests and abilities with fun and rewarding assignments.
5. A total of $25,000 in prize money will be split between the two levels, so you have the opportunity to win back your entry fee and take home extra cash.
6. Foshay will offer top notch hospitality and amenities and one of the best parties of the summer, including live music in the Marquis Tent. Also, spectator admission is free! The Foshay Country Market will feature local artisans, food and drink in a country fair atmosphere, and for 2019 is expanded to a grand marquis tent overlooking the site so you can shop, watch and eat all day. By popular demand, Foshay 2019 is sponsored by Grimross Brewing Co. from Fredericton, NB — with a Grimross cross country beer tent on cross country and a station in the country market, craft beer appreciators have much to look forward to.
7. Foshay also offers numerous educational opportunities. The Foshay Eventing Academy will be occurring over the course of the entire weekend to teach the next generation of eventers the fundamentals of the sport. Learn more here. For students of all ages, check out Foshay Talks — like TED Talks, but Foshay!
8. Join the club. In the spirit of the ‘Dare to Dream’ legacy, you can now join the Foshay Club. New for 2019, the club provides an opportunity to support the event with an annual membership supporting course building updates, visitor experience upgrades, site improvements, and maintenance. There will be a member’s tent during the event offering local food and drink, and members will also be recognized for their support in announcements and in the program.You also support the event’s future by making a donation here.
9. While many venues on the East Coast are battling hard ground in late August, the temperate summer climate in New Brunswick will guarantee fantastic footing for Foshay. Thanks to the venue’s location in a river valley, the footing on Jay Hambly’s cross country course will be perfect.
10. Foshay International is on a mission to become the East Coast’s premier destination event. With a dedicated and experienced organizing committee, Foshay is committed to putting on an event that caters to competitors, horses, owners and spectators alike.
Foshay expects more entries and more excitement for 2019. But although the event is growing, you can expect the same hometown feel, and hospitality that we all love.
Are you planning to compete in Foshay International this year? Let us know in the comments below. Mark your calendars — entries close Aug. 26. Go Eventing.