October heralds one of the most popular European events and one of our favorites to preview the rising stars of years to come. The FEI WBFSH Eventing World Breeding Championships are held annually in Le Lion d’Angers, France, with a 2*L championship for 6-year-olds and a 3*-L championship for 7-year-olds. Horses that place competitively here are set up well for success in the future, and this year as is typical we have a robust field representing 26 nations spread across the two divisions.
Competition got underway today when all pairs were accepted by the ground jury in the first horse inspection. The ground jury members for this week are:
3*-L: Andrew Bennie (NZL) – President, Joachim Dimmek (GER), Anne Keen (GBR)
2*-L: Tim Downes (GBR) – President, Laure Eslan (FRA), Felicisimo Aguado Arroyo (ESP)
Stalwart French course designer Pierre Michelet returns to design the cross country, assisted by Phillipe Racape, and Pierre will also design the show jumping tracks, assisted by Jean Pierre Cosnuau.
Looking to the North American pairs representing in this year’s competition, the robust group includes:
- Phillip Dutton (West Grove, Pa.) with Denim (Dinken – Celia II, by Ibisco xx), a 2015 Holsteiner gelding owned by Caroline Moran, Ann Lapides, and Neill Sites
- Liz Halliday-Sharp (Lexington, Ky.) with Shanroe Cooley (Dallas VDL – Shanroe Sapphire, by Condios), a 2015 Irish Sport Horse gelding owned by Ocala Horse Properties
- Caroline Martin (Miami Beach, Fla.) with HSH Blake (Tolan R – Doughishka Lass, by Kannan), a 2015 Irish Sport Horse gelding owned by Caroline Martin, Sherrie Martin, and Mollie Hoff
- Lucia Strini (Scottsville, Va.) with Keynote Dassett (Vigo d’Arsouilles – Bubble Gum, by Cardento), a 2015 KWPN gelding and FE Caspian, a 2015 Oldenburg gelding, both owned by Plain Dealing Farm
- Cornelia Dorr (Manchester by the Sea, Mass.) with DHI Qyaracolle Z (Quinar Z – Celiacolle Z, by Chellano), a 2016 Zangersheide mare owned by Cornelia Dorr and Ann Wehrle
- Caroline Martin (Miami Beach, Fla.) with HSH Connor (Connor 48 – Galwaybay Merstona, by Mermus R), a 2016 Irish Sport Horse gelding owned by Caroline Martin, Sherrie Martin, and Luann McElduff
- Kelly McCarthy Maine (CAN) with Cooley Cardento (Cardento – Viranda, by Furore), a 2016 KWPW gelding owned by Rider
The competition begins in earnest tomorrow (October 19) with the first groups of dressage in both divisions. All phases of competition will be available to watch live on ClipMyHorse.TV (subscription required). North American dressage ride times are as follows:
Thursday, October 19
9:14 a.m. local / 3:14 a.m. EST / 12:14 a.m. PST: Kelly McCarthy Maine and Cooley Cardento
9:21 a.m. local / 3:21 a.m. EST / 12:21 a.m. PST: Caroline Martin and HSH Connor
4:08 p.m. local / 10:08 a.m. EST / 7:08 a.m. PST: Liz Halliday-Sharp and Shanroe Cooley
Friday, October 20
10:41 a.m. local / 4:41 a.m. EST / 1:41 a.m. PST: Cornelia Dorr and DHI Qyaracolle Z
1:28 p.m. local / 7:28 a.m. EST / 4:28 a.m. PST: Lucia Strini and Keynote Dassett
1:35 p.m. local / 7:35 a.m. EST / 4:35 a.m. PST: Caroline Martin and HSH Blake
3:19 p.m. local / 9:35 a.m. EST / 6:35 a.m. PST: Phillip Dutton and Denim
A full list of starting times and schedules can be found here.
We’ll have much more coming your way from Mondial du Lion in the coming days, and be sure to stop by our Instagram story all week to follow along with Ocala Horse Properties’ Shanroe Cooley as he and Liz Halliday-Sharp compete.
Check out some social scenes from horse inspection day: