Entries for the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event close today, and last year’s winner Michael Jung squeaked his entry in just in time with fischerRocana FST. That means last year’s winner and the second-place duo of Tim Price and Wesko are both set to return to Kentucky for a rematch.
As last year’s Burghley winner with La Biosthetique Sam FBW, Michael would set himself up for a run at the Rolex Grand Slam of Eventing if he can take the Rolex Kentucky victory with fischerRocana FST for a second consecutive year.
The Rolex Grand Slam of Eventing awards $350,000 to a rider who wins Rolex, Badminton and Burghley in any consecutive order. Pippa Funnell remains the only rider to have clinched the hat trick, taking the Grand Slam in 2003 with wins at Rolex and Burghley with Primmore’s Pride and at Badminton with Supreme Rock.
Michael is also entered at Badminton this year with Sam, who finished in second place at the event in 2013. There’s still a long way to go on the Rolex Grand Slam trail, but the stage has been set to potentially crown the second winner in history if Michael can continue his winning ways.
fischerRocana FST, an 11-year-old German Sport Horse mare, finished second this past weekend in the first FEI Nations Cup of the season at the Fontainebleau CICO3* in France. Michael is currently the sole Rolex entry for Germany, but entries will still trickle in over the next few days. The entry list is current sitting at a record-high of 90 horses.
Here’s a look at other new entries to the list since out last entry update:
- Emily Beshear and Shame on the Moon, the first CCI4* for the mare.
- Maya Black and Doesn’t Play Fair, who finished second in the star-studded Carolina International CIC3* this past weekend.
- Kyle Carter and Madison Park for the 18-year-old Thoroughbred gelding’s fifth trip to Rolex.
- Marilyn Little and RF Demeter in their fifth Rolex appearance.
- More Rolex Rookies: Matt Brown and Super Socks BCF, Holly Jacks-Smither and More Inspiration, Avery Klunick and In It To Win It, and Mikki Kuchta and Rubens D’Ysieux.
Click here to view the full entry list, and keep it locked on EN for all the latest from #RK3DE.